Sunday, August 18, 2013

Day Trip to Port Jefferson from Connecticut on the Bridgeport Ferry

Recently, on what was likely the hottest day of the summer, my friends and I decided to take our annual summer day trip. We like to call ourselves Thelma, Louise, & Louise...but don't worry. No lives were lost - we're a little more low key.

This year, we decided to to take the Bridgeport Ferry to Port Jefferson, New York. 
Day trip to Port Jefferson New York on the Bridgeport Ferry

We compromised on our departure time, we originally thought if we left super-early, we'd arrive in the cool morning hours...but after some thought, we realized we'd arrive there, only to find that nothing was open!

We decided on the 8:30 ferry, departing from Bridgeport, CT. Ferry service runs hourly, on the half-hour. The 2013 prices for a round-trip ticket for a "foot" passenger (no car) is $27.00 ($19.00 for a senior citizen round trip). You can also bring a car over, reservations required, for $54.00 each way (includes driver). There are also week-day specials of $74.00 with car (reservations required) and passengers. Costs may differ according to the size of your vehicle. Check their website for rates HERE.

There is free parking a few blocks from the ferry itself. Note there are two lots, a smaller one, closer to the ferry entrance, and a larger one a few blocks away. We first parked at the large one, and were concerned that there were no other cars there, drove a little closer, and discovered the other lot. The large lot is more of an "overflow" after the smaller one fills early in the morning. There is shuttle service that will drop you directly at the ferry from both parking areas.
clockwise from left, parking information, shuttle van, Bridgeport Ferry Center
And off we went!
Tickets are purchased on board - and when traveling with your car, even if you've already paid online, you still need to check in at the ticket office when you board. When you disembark, your tickets are collected.
Bridgeport Ferry to Port Jefferson
Bridgeport Ferry to Port Jefferson

The ferry ride over is just over an hour and it was a beautiful morning. The sun was shimmering and reflecting off the water, and outside on the upper deck the ship's breeze was refreshing.
Bridgeport Ferry to Port Jefferson  Morning sun
Bridgeport Ferry Ride to Port Jefferson - Morning Sun
As soon as we arrived, we got our bearings and walked around admiring the beautiful architecture, gardens, flowers, and scenery.


We stopped for a hazelnut iced latte and a mid-morning hydration (it was soooo hot out) at the Messina Market. It was just the pick me up I needed to start looking through some of the quaint little New England shoppes!
Messina Market - Hazelnut Iced Coffee / Latte - Port Jefferson NY
Messina Market - Hazelnut Iced Coffee / Latte
We found some cute little stores, but were surprised that many weren't open.  It was a Friday in July...so we weren't sure why. But for the stores that were open, there are some great finds to be found...


Don't you just love all the nautical themed merchandise, the jewelry, the driftwood items, and white washed furniture? I just love the beach cottage look! Someday it will all go in my little dream cottage on the beach. Biggest shopping regret of the day? Not buying those starfish earrings and necklace pictured above from the Kismet Boutique!
Sightseeing in Port Jefferson NY
Sightseeing in Port Jefferson NY
Then we headed over to the Gourmet Burger Bistro to have some lunch. I know, I know, you're wondering why we're in a seaport and having burgers! Well my pal Thelma doesn't care much for seafood, so were were looking for a restaurant that had a good burger menu, and this looked like the place.
Gourmet Burger Bistro "GBB" - Port Jefferson NY
Gourmet Burger Bistro "GBB" - Port Jefferson NY

SCORE! I have to honestly say that we had the best burgers ever, and I've already promised the cowboy a return trip with me, just so he can see for himself!  I ordered the GBB Mini's pictured above, and it was all I could do to finish them! So good and I can't wait to return with the cowboy so we can do a food review!  YUM!!! Here's a link to the GBB Menu: http://www.gourmetburgerbistro.net/files/55837847.pdf

All in all we had a wonderful day! - BUT....

The skies opened up, and I do mean opened up, just as we were heading to the 3:00pm ferry returning to Bridgeport.

Raining in Port Jefferson NY
Raining in Port Jefferson NY

We got drenched! The good thing? By the time the ship set out to return to Bridgeport, the sun was out again and the warm sea breeze dried us off!

If you have the chance - take the Bridgeport ferry trip to Port Jefferson!

It's a fun and relaxing day!

Enjoy!


Have you been to Port Jefferson?

Did you have a shopping regret?
(Gosh - I just realized I didn't buy ANYTHING)

Where did you stop for lunch?


I'd love to hear about it in the comments below.

Big thanks to my traveling buddies for letting me use their photos! My laptop that holds my photos is not feeling well. Please hope it's not anything serious. But I'll post a link to all my pictures when I can! Thanks for patience.


UPDATE: Link to the Port Jeff pictures on Home Place HERE

21 comments:

  1. Wow, I didn't realize that this is what was on the other side of that ferry ride. I always saw it as a commuter type thing, not a day tripper thing. *Adds to list*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a fun ride and Port Jeff is a cute little area. The perfect day trip!

      Delete
  2. We enjoyed our ferry trip from New London to Orient Point in June so much that my friends and I are talking about going again. Maybe do an overnight on the North Fork and hit a bunch of wineries. You need a car for that trip though-there didn't seem to be much within walking distance at Orient Point.

    I've never been to Port Jefferson. Will have to keep it in mind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well...now I have to go see what's happening at Orient Port. Love the combination of a ferry ride and a destination! Next year!

      Delete
  3. I've never been to Port Jefferson but now after seeing your trip, I feel I ought to go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joe, it's really a fun day trip and there's so many cute little shops to visit. And the food is great too! Definitely go!

      Delete
  4. That looks like such a fun day trip, and you had good weather! I've never been but it's definitely going to have to go on my list of places to visit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maria, it was a fun day trip! And the weather was so good - hot, but good!
      Yes, put it on your short list of fun places to visit!

      Delete
  5. What a beautiful trip! That burger tee shirt is hysterical, I love me a good burger!

    xx Kait

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kait, the shirt was so true! GBB does make steaks jealous. Best.Burger. Ever. Can't wait to go back

      Delete
  6. I haven't taken the ferry from Bridgeport to Port Jeff in ages! Seeing what a great time you had makes we want to do it again soon. And I definitely want to check out that burger place! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the ferry ride was a big part of the fun! And I can't wait to return for another burger!

      Delete
  7. This looks lovely and we've never done it! There are so many great things to do, right in our backyard! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michelle, I am more and more enchanted everyday with our home state of Connecticut! I discover more to do each day!

      Delete
  8. Eric's family is in Long Island and they are always telling us to take the ferry. We've always said no because of the price and the distance, but now that I'm looking at it again New Milford is only an hour from Bridgeport and the ferry it literally 20 minutes from his parents house. We're going to have to try this! Thanks for you sharing, your trip looks like so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Every now and then we just need to treat ourselves! It was a fun trip...and even though we didn't stray far...just the sense of being on a boat, shopping, and sightseeing, makes it feel like a mini-vacation!

      Delete
  9. A casual light dinner and drinks for a first date.....any suggestions? He will be taking the Ferry from Bridgeport and I'm driving from the other end of the Island! Nassau County...45+ age group and celebrating both our Birthdays!!
    Miss L

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really enjoyed the Gourmet Burger Bistro, but there are more "upscale" places directly on the main road that offer better views. Friends highly recommend The Fifth Season, but I haven't tried them yet. Stop back here and let me know where you selected and how you liked it.

      Delete
  10. This looks like allot of fun. Just wondering are the shops in walking distance after you got off the ferry?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they are withing walking distance. We did not take a car and spent the day exploring the area immediately surrounding the ferry area.

      Delete
  11. Thank you so much for this detailed account! It was precisely what I was looking for, as I was trying to decide if I should plan a trip to Port Jefferson. After reading your great post, I have decided to do it!

    ReplyDelete

Real Time Web Analytics