|Photo Source: Redpack / RedGold|
tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
small onion, chopped
garlic clove, minced
cup vegetable broth, or white wine
tablespoons Redpack® Tomato Paste
(14.5 ounce) cans Redpack® Petite Diced Tomatoes With Garlic & Olive Oil
teaspoon red pepper
Salt and black pepper to taste
teaspoons balsamic vinegar
(8 ounce) tube refrigerator pizza crust, or crescent roll sheet
cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar and Monterey Jack cheese blend
cup chopped assorted fresh vegetables, green pepper, onion, muchrooms and spinach leaves
Spicy Pizza Sauce - Makes 2 1/2 cups
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the onions and sauté until they are soft, about 4 minutes. Add the garlic and wine; cook for an additional minute.
- Stir in REDPACK® TOMATO PASTE, REDPACK® PETITE DICED TOMATOES with GARLIC & OLIVE OIL, pepper flakes, salt and black pepper. Reduce the heat and simmer for 20 to 25 minutes or until thickened. Stir in the vinegar; cool.
- Freeze leftover pizza sauce for a future Pizza Braid or regular pizza.
Pizza Braid - Makes 1 braid
- Preheat oven to 375o F. Remove pizza dough from tube and place on sheet of parchment paper. Roll dough into a 10” X 14” rectangle. Place on baking sheet.
- Spread ½ of cheese down the center third of the dough. Top with 1 cup Spicy Pizza Sauce and 1 cup of shopped vegetables. Top with remaining cheese.
- Cut 1” crosswise strips down the sides of the rectangle. Starting from one end, bring one of the dough strips across the filling diagonally. Repeat on the other side, crisscrossing the dough strips. Continue down the rest of the braid, alternating strips to form the loaf. Brush with egg wash (one egg beaten with a pinch of salt). Sprinkle with dehydrated onions or poppy seed. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until golden brown.
- Option: Meat lovers??? Pepperoni or crumbled cooked sausage could be added when placing the vegetables.
Note: Recipe above used with permission from Redpack
For more recipes for Carnevale season visit http://www.RedpackTomatoes.com/Carnevale
Disclaimer: I was gifted with a mini-promotional giveaway Redpack pack courtesy of Redpack to help facilitate this promotion. All opinions are my own.