Saturday, January 26, 2013

Cash Mob CT at Books & Company in Hamden, CT

Today we traveled to the Whitneyville area of Hamden CT to "Cash Mob" a locally owned business, Books & Company.   Cash mobbing is easy-peasy - all it takes is a twenty dollar bill and a desire to shop.  Now that I've got!
Collection of mini Dr. Seuss books.  My faves!
What's more, Cash Mobbing is a PUBLIC SERVICE! (And don't tell my husband otherwise) Each month the folks at REX Development, together with Cash Mob CT,  choose a town or city that is part of the 15 municipalities that make up the South Central Regional Council of Governments (SCRCOG) to descend on to be "Cash-Mobbed". 

So not only do you get a little retail therapy - but you also get to stimulate the economy.  And me, I'm just doing my part to save the world, folks.  Yup, one twenty dollar bill at a time! 

Past winners have been RJ Julia Booksellers in Madison, Flutterby in Guilford, the Bethany Farm Market in Bethany, Sweet Cioccolata in Wallingford, the Sweet Shoppe in East Haven, CT, and Something of Bev's in Milford, CT.


If you've never been to Books & Company it is definitely worth the trip!  This little store sells high quality used books, with children's books, fiction and non-fiction, great literature, and everything in-between!  

What's more, they even support other local artists in the form of jewelry, photography and prints, and MORE!

Here's some pictures of today's visit!


Row after row of books! And fun items for the wee ones!





There's something for everyone at Books & Company to browse through!


Suggested readings - and lots of them!

There's even a little gourmet coffee shop on premise...where your friendly waitstaff will serve up some delicious concoctions...and then, if you're nice, she'll even share them with you!

To add some extra special pizazz to today's Cash Mob CT - there was even live entertainment!


The cowboy purchased a new cookbook!


And then he made me look through it before we left in hopes that I'd cook something up for tonight's dinner!


He must be dreaming or something. Wake up, honey, wake up.

If you have a chance - take a trip to Books & Company in Hamden CT, and try to always support local business!  Remember that for every $20 that is spent at a local retailer, $13.60 will return to the community through taxes and payroll!

And Cash Mob makes a difference! The folks at Books and Company report [we had] "the highest daily sales volume by far in our nearly 18 years in business!"



1235 Whitney Avenue, Hamden, CT 06517
(203) 248-9449

Hours
Mon-Wed 8:30am-6pm
Thu-Fri 8:30am-8pm
Sat 9am-6pm
Sun 10am-5pm 


For more pictures of today's visit visit the Home Place Facebook Page: Books & Co.

To learn more about Cash Mob CT clickHERE 

**********

Have you participated in a Cash Mob yet?  If so, where?

Are you a book lover?  Reading anything special right now?

I'd love to hear about it in the comments below!

4 comments:

  1. Cash Mob...what a great idea and I can think of no better place to hang out than at a book store. Your lovely photos made me feel like I was right in the shop with you, Bonnie.
    I just finished reading One Thousand White Women, the Journals of May Dodd by Jim Fergus. Loved it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pat...I use way to many pictures in my write-ups! But I've always been a visual learner!

      The Cash Mob concept is brilliant and can give a local business a much needed shot in the arm during this economic downturn. Imagine if 200 people shopped at a local store in a single day and spent $20.00!

      Fergus' book sounds interesting! I just started The History of the CT River in preparation of meeting the author next weekend. Lots of local information! A great easy read!

      Delete
  2. This is so great! I had idea about this. It is so smart to put more money into local businesses. I just may need to check out some of my local boutiques! Definitely going to check out some books for my daughter as well!

    Erin
    www.accidentallystylish.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Check out if REX covers your town! It's a great event!

      Delete

Real Time Web Analytics