Tuesday, April 16, 2013

National Library Week 2013 - Communities Matter @ Your Library #NLW13

This year the American Library Association (ALA) celebrates its 54th annual National Library Week. (#NLW13)  Each year the ALA recognizes and highlights the contributions that libraries and librarians have made throughout the year.

This year, the theme for National Library Week is "Communities Matter @ Your Library"

Nowhere is that more apparent than at my local library, the James Blackstone Library in Branford, CT.





This beautiful gem, located in downtown Branford, is the media hub for the town. Not only does it feature an extensive collection of reading materials, computer stations and programs.

It also features seminars and workshops on a myriad of topics.

This month, there are talks on safety and survival, financial planning, horseshoe crabs, New England in the movies, and a guest instrumental guitarist.

For a link to their monthly calendar, click HERE.

For a link to children's events, click HERE 

During the past few storms that battered the CT coastline leaving many without power, the Blackstone Library flung open their doors, inviting residents in to charge cell phones, and connect with their neighbors.

Yes! Communities Matter @ Your Library! 


I've been a book lover all my life. I remember long after the lights went out I'd be reading under the  covers with a flashlight.  And I never complained about a long car trip, as long as I had a Happy Hollisters or Nancy Drew mystery book to read.

Of course, that doesn't mean that I never asked "are we half-way yet???"  (chuckle)

Luckily, both my parents were avid readers and instilled that love of reading in me.  My sister and I had so many books when we were young, and loved the library so much, that we created a home library of our own, where we would "stamp" books out. Yes. We "played library"!!

I hope your town has its own local library that serves as the learning hub for your community too!

This week, artists J. Timothy Quirk and Jessica Ponticelli take a whimsical look at libraries around Connecticut by featuring a local library for each day of National Library Week in their cartoon "Nutmeg Junction"!

Click on the Town or City name below to see Nutmeg Junction 's cartoons featured on Ann Nyberg's NetworkConnecticut

Sunday: New Britain
Monday: Torrington 
Tuesday: Vernon
Wednesday: Branford (Image below)
Note: This Copyrighted Image Has Been Used With Permission 




























Thursday: Southington
Friday: Farmington
Saturday: TBA





********************

Do you have a favorite library or library story?
I'd love to hear about it in the comments below!

2 comments:

  1. Bonnie, this is a wonderful tribute to your local treasure, the Blackstone Library in beautiful Branford, Connecticut. It is an honor that you've mentioned Jessica's and my work in your post here. We will be celebrating Branford's library within our series and thank you for sharing that series and for being a wonderful advocate for your town and for your library!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure! Like you, I've been a library lover all my life! It's only fitting that we take this opportunity to say "Thank You" !!

      Delete

Real Time Web Analytics