Sunday, July 20, 2014

Greek Food? Greek Diner! The Townhouse Diner in Branford CT

Every now and then you just have a hankering for some Greek Food.

You know the flavor profile I mean...that briney delicious Greek and Mediterranean flavor profile.

Greek cooking traditionally consists of using organic cheeses, oils, fruits, nuts, grains, legumes, and vegetables. This is because Greece's climate is perfect growing for olive trees. And their cooking involves a creative use of spices, garlic and other herbs such as oregano, basil, mint, and thyme. Proteins include lots of seafood, as most of the Greek coast boasts fishing villages, and their inland communities use goats, lamb, whole roasted pigs, chicken, and beef.

I typically get my dose of Greek sampling at the yearly Greek Festival held in Orange CT (This year held Labor Day Weekend Aug 29, 30, 31, Sep 1, 2014 12 noon to 10 PM (Fri. Sat. Sun.) 12 noon to 8 PM (Mon.) - See more at: http://www.saintbarbara.org/our_parish/odyssey_festival/)

But because I was in the mood NOW - I headed over to my local Greek diner, The Townhouse Diner in Branford CT to partake in some hearty Greek food!

The Branford Townhouse Diner


I started with Townhouse's version of a Greek Salad made with icy cold shredded lettuce, crumbled feta cheese, tomatoes, cucumbers, thinly sliced red onions, and a few Greek olives, served with a crisp vinaigrette dressing.

 Townhouse Greek Salad

For my meal, I ordered the Gyro Deluxe (with fries and salad). I loved that the sandwich was served open face, so I could assemble it the way I like! I broke up the block of feta cheese, and pulled apart the tomatoes and onions, so that whole pieces wouldn't come out with every bite I took!

Townhouse Diner Gyro

And here's what it looked like after I assembled it. I did have to ask for extra Tzatziki Sauce.
Gyro at Townhouse Diner

What I didn't like was not having the deli paper that often times comes with a Gyro to help keep the excess sauces and juices from dripping out. Luckily, a nearby waitress came to my rescue by bringing extra napkins. (And got a good chuckle out of my Tzatziki covered face!). No pictures please!

And of course, for dessert, I had a nice wedge of Baklava

Baklava at Townhouse Diner

This was a little more dense and less syrupy than I'm used to - but the delicious combination of nuts, honey, and flaky light pastry came shining through. Just look at that fork full of flavor below!

Baklava

So if you're like me, and get a hankering every now and again for some delicious Greek Food - head to your nearest diner to satisfy the urge and craving.

About the restaurant / diner. They've been in Branford for almost 20 years, and relocated to the "pretzel" area in 2011. The outside property and grounds are well kept and maintained. The inside, maybe not so much, as the aisles were full of crumbs and tiny bits of papers ignored by most of the employees. Eventually, about 20 minutes after we were seated, one waitperson did carpet sweep the area.. Note to restaurants and staff everywhere. Please don't seat customers until the entire area is cleared, table, chair,  AND floors included! It only takes a second to tidy up!

This was my first visit to the Branford Townhouse...and in spite of my floor complaints, I'll definitely be back. It's just a little pet peeve of mine.

Branford Townhouse Diner
18 North Main Street (Route 1)
Branford, CT 06405
203-481-0550

Open 7 Days A Week
M-S 7AM - 11PM, Sunday 7AM-10PM



Follow them on Twitter: https://twitter.com/BfdTownhouse


****************************

Do you have a favorite Greek dish?

Do you have a soft spot for your local diner?

I'd love to hear about it in the comments below!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Real Time Web Analytics